Saturday, January 12, 2008

Masterpiece


This velvet suit, custom made by Karen Ulibarri for her boyfriend Tommy Bolin, is one of the holy grail objects of rockdom. It so perfectly represents Tommy's mystique and personality, and it was an honor to even be in its presence. I mounted it on a dark blue/purple velvet and it looks spectacular in the glass case. Thanks to M. Sean Vennett for this outstanding photograph!



The shirt was remounted in a new case. Together they were packed in a crate to be shipped to NAMM along with more boxes of photos and gold records. Dean Guitars has a very elaborate display and it will be exciting to see how they set of this up. I'll arrive in Anaheim Wednesday with Johnnie.











4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed!
I could describe how I imagine this experience to be for you.
However in the interests of the sensitive I shall restrict the comment to....
It must feel good to be on this trip.

William K. Moore said...

Nicholas thx for putting up the excellent behind the scenes documentary. As a person growing up in America late 50s - teens in the 60s, Rock'n'Roll is a big part of my life and DNA now (thx to the 25- wink wink). Important isn't a big enough word to describe how Rock'n'Roll has shaped my experience in this strange world. Lucky to experience this cool part of human history. Your support and effort to spotlight a segment of this music history is a real treat Nicholas. It is appreciated more than you know.

Nick said...

Dake - it's an honor to have part - however small - in extending his legacy. I got a bad cold coming back from FL, sure hope I feel better when I leave Wednesday. Wish you could be there!

Bill - I know what you're saying. And we no doubt share a lot of favorites....I mean, I'm a huge Beatles fan, but even counting them, there isn't any r&r memorabilia that holds a bigger thrill for me than Tommy's stuff. I'll see you soon and give you a firsthand report.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Fun reading about your brush with greatness. I love Rock trivia and consider the Hard Rock Cafe chain to be merely a vehicle for showing the costumes/outfits and the guitars of the stars. More a contemporary museum than a restaurant.